Filing Taxes If I’m Under 18 In The United States (california)?

I’m 17 and I have a partnership where I get paid for making youtube videos. When filling in the contract, I had to sign the W9 form which asks for my name, address, and my social security (or a taxpayer ID number TIN). I have never paid taxes before (with the exception of sales tax) but would I need to do since I would now be “earning income” and would it depend how much I make a year before I start paying taxes?
Can somebody please clarify? Thanks 😀

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

4 Responses to “Filing Taxes If I’m Under 18 In The United States (california)?”

  1. Ben says:

    If you are a partner in the partnership, you should be receiving a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) from the partnership. The items in this schedule should be put in appropriate places on your tax return.
    However, translating partnership income to your personal income taxes can be quite complex. You might want to read the instructions on Schedule K-1 to see where they would go on your tax form (Form 1040).

  2. A Hunch says:

    you aren’t a real “partner” – as in a partner owner in the company = so the K-1 info is not correct.
    You are a partner like my company, hires your company and now we have a partnership.
    If you earn more than $400 in a year, you are required to file taxes.
    You would file a Schedule C = profit and loss of business and Schedule SE = self employment tax.
    While you are under 18 you would continue to be a dependent of your parents.
    When you turn 18 it depends how much you earn and what else you do (go to college? work fulltime? live with them? etc).
    Have fun!

  3. Lisa A says:

    You will get a 1099 from your job. If it is over $400, you will have to file taxes.
    You will need to use the 1099 data to file your taxes. Wait until you get it and then go to to find a company to use to file your taxes online. Right now, you won’t find any links, because the IRS isn’t accepting returns until Jan 30.

  4. StephenW says:

    If you are making $400 or more doing this, then you would need to file taxes and pay “self-employment” tax.
    If you are making less than $400 (from everything, not just this), then you would not need to pay anything.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: free css template | Thanks to hostgator coupon and web hosting reviews