Solving Travel Insurance Problems

Will I still be able to get medical treatment if I do not have travel insurance? The answer to this question depends on where you are. A few countries have reciprocal arrangements with the UK; this means you will get the same attention and treatment as a citizen of that country, without the need for insurance. 

They include European Union countries; Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, the Republic of Ireland and Sweden; as well as Australia, Barbados, New Zealand, Romania and Russia. It does not however include popular destinations such as Switzerland, Turkey and the US. 

You must take into consideration, however, that treatment may not be free. The arrangements also do not cover the cost of getting home if you are seriously ill or injured. 

What is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)? The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives access to free or reduced cost medical treatment in the European Union. It replaced the E111 in January 2006. You can get further details from the Department of Health’s website. 

I have travel accident insurance with my credit card. Does that mean I do not need travel insurance? Travel accident insurance usually covers you if you are seriously injured in an accident whilst travelling. It does not cover the cost of repatriation or treatment if you fall ill. Neither does it cover loss of baggage, money or cancellation of your holiday. So, yes you will still need travel insurance. A few credit cards and packaged current accounts do offer ‘free’ travel insurance. Check the policy is comprehensive and covers everything you need. 

If something goes wrong on holiday, what should I do? Firstly, take the policy details with you – Make sure you call you insurer before you have any medical treatment, have your insurance details with you. Some insurers may even refuse to pay out if you do not call them. 

Then remember to keep receipts – you will need receipts for any items that you want to claim for. These would include: medical bills, prescriptions and anything you have to buy because your baggage has been lost, stolen or delayed. And if your belongings are lost or stolen get a police report – your insurer will want to see a police report. 

What if your holiday is delayed more than 12 hours? If you’re delayed for longer than 12 hours you can usually claim up to around 50 pounds on your travel insurance. Ask the airline to confirm the delay in writing and keep receipts of expenses incurred. 

My claim was rejected. What can I do? Do not be put off if a claim is turned down or not fully paid. Complain, in writing, to the travel insurance company and, if they do not resolve your complaint, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. The Ombudsman can look into your case and can force the company to settle and to pay you compensation. 

What is personal liability cover? Personal liability is not used often but is important an important part of travel insurance. If you face legal bills for accidentally injuring someone or damaging their property whilst abroad you will be covered. 

Source by Michael Challiner

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: free css template | Thanks to hostgator coupon and web hosting reviews